July 18, 2012
Nearly 100 Attend Low-Stress Cattle Handling Event in Lake Park Iowa
Nearly 100 beef producers from Iowa South Dakota and Minnesota attended the low-stress cattle handling presentation and monoslope facility tour that was held near Lake Park IA this past July 17. The presentation was conducted by independent feedlot consultant and low-stress cattle handling expert Dr. Tom Noffsinger DVM of Denkelman NE. The session included low-stress cattle working demonstrations at the new monoslope feeding facility of Robert Ahrenstorff near Lake Park IA.
During the presentation Dr. Noffsinger reviewed the fundamentals of cattle handling which included:
- Cattle don’t understand Spanish English or any other human language so we should avoid using our voices – especially whooping hollering and whistling.
- Be aware of your body positioning as well as the angle and speed at which you approach them.
- Understand cattle are prey animals and feel safer with other cattle than alone.
- Cattle like to see you at all times – avoid approaching them from behind.
- Cattle tend to move in the direction they are looking – so use your body to point them in the direction you want them to move.
- Never use a cattle prod – rather use paddles or flags if you need them.
- You can master low-stress cattle handling techniques with the right education.
Summit Livestock Facilities is currently working with industry experts to develop informative information and materials on low-stress cattle handling. The information is currently being developed by Dr. Noffsinger and others (including the Iowa Cattlemen’s Association and the Beef Quality Assurance Program). If you are interested in learning more Click here to stay informed and we’ll send you information as it becomes available or you can also call (800) 213-0567 for more information.
Summit Livestock Facilities helps livestock producers manage risk ensure regulatory compliance and improve profit potential. Services of the company include consulting relative to financial feasibility funding environmental regulatory permitting and ongoing compliance. Summit designs and builds monoslope beef barns gable beef barns manure storage and commodity storage buildings and other beef related structures and provides turn-key comprehensive construction management of those projects.